In truth, this is just a list of techniques that you could see on any chiropractic website.
It is the application of the techniques…
…to the right person,
…for the right condition,
…for the right reasons.
Anyone can apply pressure to a muscle or make a joint “crack”. Read through this page if you are curious if we offer a particular technique, but if you’d like to learn about how we actually apply these techniques, we strongly encourage you to check out our page:
–WHY CHOOSE US –
We are skilled in several techniques, some you may have heard of include: Diversified, Gonstead, Thompson, and Activator.
The Chiropractic adjustment serves to:
- Restore normal motion to the spine,
- Relax tight muscles,
- Inhibit pain, and
- Improve coordination
- Additionally, the adjustment can directly, and indirectly have surprisingly profound effects on various systems of the body.
Soft Tissue & Manual Therapy
We are skilled in and utilize several techniques that are effective for soft tissue treatment including:
- Neuromobilization Techniques – Useful in treating neurogenic pain sources and enhancing recovery.
- Various forms of PNF stretching (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) – For stretching and releasing tight or shortened muscles and increasing range of motion.
- Trigger point therapy – For relaxing tight muscles and relieving pain caused by trigger points.
- Myofascial Release techniques – used to restore optimal function and motion of the soft tissue and release entrapped nerves or blood vessels.
Dr. Stalheim has specifically taken the Part A – Low back portion of this technique.
- This assessment and technique are very effective for reducing and eliminating pain and symptoms related to discogenic pain conditions like bulging/herniated discs.
- If you are having back pain, radiating hip, thigh, leg, or foot pain – this can be a highly effective technique.
Traction with Flexion-Distraction
Effective for Disc Related Pain Conditions
For patients with a “slipped/bulging/ruptured/herniated ” disc (without cauda equina syndrome or progressive neurological deficit), flexion-distraction sets the following goals:
- increases the intervertebral disc height (B) to remove annular tension on the annular fibers and nerve (D) by making more room and improving circulation;
- allows the nucleus pulposus (A) — the center of the disc — to assume its central position within the annular fibers (E) and relieves irritation of the spinal nerve (D);
- restores vertebral joints (C) to their physiological relationships of motion;
- improves posture and locomotion while relieving pain, improving body functions, and creating a state of well-being.
Rehabilitation & Movement Coaching
This is one of the significant differentiators between this office and other physical medicine practitioners. The significant differentiator being that we work on real-life specific movements related to your activity – not “cookie cutter” motions that someone printed out of the back of a textbook.
- The purpose is to help you to strengthen the necessary muscles and movement patterns to keep your condition from recurring. This could be bending and lifting your kids or squatting, deadlifting, Olympic lifting, running, etc…
Functional Movement Screening (FMS) and Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- These systems allow a professional to screen and assess for movement risk factors and do better than guess at why you may be continually injuring an area.
- These systems also help us give you ways to better deal with your neuro-biomechanical issues with the goal to minimize re-injury and minimize your amount of treatment.
Physiotherapy – Electric stim & Ultrasound
Used for pain relief, muscle spasms and overuse syndromes
- Therapeutic Ultrasound – Utilizes sound waves that penetrate the muscles to cause deep tissue/muscle warming. This promotes tissue relaxation and is useful in treating muscle tightness and spasms. The warming effect of the sound waves also causes vessel vasodilatation and increase circulation to the area which assists in healing and decreasing inflammation.
- Electric Stim (Interferential Current) – Used largely for decreasing muscle spasms and increasing local blood circulation.
- Common tests that we may order or you may request include 25(OH)D levels and allergy and/or auto-immunity testing, as well as others.
- We do gluten sensitivity testing through Cyrex Labs as they are leading the way in these tests with innovative and comprehensive arrays.
Nutritional Consulting and Supplements
- There are a few supplements that we may specifically recommend for your condition as deficiencies can sometimes lead to chronic musculoskeletal pain.
- We carry 2 brands for your convenience; Anabolic Laboratories and Biotics Research. These are two high-quality brands that you can only purchase through a healthcare provider. It’s not to say that there aren’t other high-quality supplements out there, but there are a multitude of supplement companies that are suspect, to say the least.
- Anabolic Laboratories is the only supplement company that also produces pharmaceutical products and is therefore regulated with the same high standards.
- Biotics Research is a leading manufacturer of specially designed nutritional products for over thirty years. They offer an extensive array of quality individual and combination supplements.
We are proponents of utilizing an anti-inflammatory way of eating; commonly referred to as a Paleo-Mediterranean diet. This is an essential part of a health-plan for many conditions as well as a general healthy lifestyle. Check out our blog for more specific information about this.